Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Jeremiah Obadiah and Jesus


(Names and places have been changed to protect the writer. The story is true.)
The day after the election my old friend, Jeremiah Obadiah Smith, invited me for coffee at Starbucks. It had been a while since we last talked. Jeremiah started right in, “Thank God it’s over. I’m finished with it. The debates, the mudslinging, the lies . . .”
          “You mean the election?” I had always known Jeremiah to be a fierce political independent. His practice was to write in the name of his favorite politician, “ . . . the only man who could deal with such a mess,” he would say. “Franklin D. Roosevelt.”
          I often reminded him, “FDR is way dead, you know.” Jeremiah believed that even dead FDR would be the best guy in the line-up.
          Jeremiah had never been a man of the church. I knew him from my days as a mental health chaplain. When he was a child, his mom and dad had forced religion on him. He hated church. Combat experience in Vietnam had made him doubt the existence of God.  Three marriages later he was sure of it. His latest girlfriend had taken him to one those “Point” church sprouting up everywhere. “Shallow, Lee, shallow. And loud. What’s the point?” Jeremiah’s invitation to coffee had piqued my curiosity and so I asked him what was going on in his life. He told me that he had a very disturbing dream and needed help sorting it out because he didn’t like where it was taking him.
          The ancients understood that unbidden communication in the night opens sleepers to a world different from the one they manage during the day. The ancients thought that dreams were a venue in which the holy purposes of God, perplexing and unreasonable as they might be, come to us. So I told Jeremiah that sometimes dreams are from God--like with Jacob, Pharaoh, Daniel, Joseph, and the Magi in the Bible.
          “Not this time. No, it was just the Spicy Thai Basil for dinner. Or not. Listen, it was about Baby Jesus. I was a character in the Nativity story. You remember how my mom made me be an angel in that stupid Christmas play when I was like five years old? They made me sing and I couldn’t sing. It scarred me for life. In my dream I was the innkeeper. My inn was pretty low rent, like the Clermont Hotel completely furnished with bedbugs. About dark here come Joseph and Mary. She is plump with child and in a really bad mood. I had just rented my last room but did Joseph care? I asked him, ‘What part of “No Vacancy” don’t you understand?’”
          “Well, Jeremiah, that is the way the story goes.”
          “ Yes, and so I turned them away.” I said, “Listen, you can sleep in the re-cycled paper dumpster; or if you can make it downtown to the shelter, Joseph, you can go in but Mary has to go somewhere else. They don’t do couples.”
          “Jeremiah, how could you send the Holy Family to a shelter? Those places are dangerous.”
          “No, I couldn’t stay on script. I took them over to the Majestic Grill for dinner and we started to order when all of a sudden Mary got this look on her face and I knew that baby was coming and I yelled for help. Everybody in the place whipped out a cell phone and dialed 911.”
          “How did it all end up?”
          “Well, next scene in the dream is Mary sitting in my Barcalounger nursing Baby Jesus and watching Dr.Oz on my widescreen. Nasty shepherds were tromping through the house and Wise Men were kneeling on my floor and UPS delivered boxed and boxes of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.”
          “So what’s your big theological question? Sometimes a dream is just a dream.”
          “Lee, do you think that it was just a dream?”
          “Jeremiah, it doesn’t matter what I think. What do you think? Maybe after all these years of running from Jesus . . . “
          “Yeah, I think that I helped birth the little fellow and then he just moved right into my home.”
          “Jesus is coming soon, Jeremiah Obadiah. Soon and very soon. Merry Christmas.”
          Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
         
.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment